Grilled Squash With Red Onion and Feta
Squash can be one of those tricky vegetables to get just right when cooking. It can be either too mushy, not cooked tender, or lacking flavor.
Throw the squash on the grill and it becomes “crisp-tender”, as Bon Appétit puts it; reserving a term that can only denote a squash’s outcome.
What you will need for this flavor abundant meal is:
- ½ cup or more of oil, some for marinating and some for grilling
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 medium summer squash cut lengthwise into .5” wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges or slices
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. crumbled feta
- 4 banana peppers sliced (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Put the grill on medium heat, and lay the squash on until it has grill marks; about 15 minutes.
A knife should be able to slip through the center easily. Immediately after you pull it off, rub it down with the marinade mixture and let it seep in.
The onions should be cooked until you see some charring on the outer edge.
Sprinkle the feta on top when everything is complete and you will have a delightful meal that the whole family can enjoy on the back deck.